Malaysia is home to over 50 ethnic groups spread out over 12 cities, numerous islands, mountains, parks, towns and kampungs – not forgetting our five World Heritage Sites. She may permeate our conversations at work, in coffee shops and mamak stores all the way to the dining tables in our homes, but how well do we truly know her?
At Four Forty Records, we have been privileged to bring our music to large cities as well as smaller towns – from Alor Setar to Johor Bahru, and Kuching to Telupid (Sabah). Beyond that, we have been honoured with the opportunities to taste local flavours, get to know local heroes and savour the breathtaking sights this land has been blessed with.
In celebration of our 10th anniversary in 2016, we embarked on a journey to share these priceless experiences with our viewers through Songs & Stories.
About Songs & Stories
Songs & Stories is a joint-initiative between singer-songwriter Juwita Suwito and novelist-author Gina Yap Lai Yoong. The aim is to discover inspiration in everyday people and places throughout Malaysia, and to highlight the intangible resources and riches of our land. We present our discoveries through a series of short videos, online stories and photo-essays – both through on-ground events and social media channels. Each Songs & Stories series is driven by the following guiding framework:
- Location Focus: One location for each episode.
- Highlights: 3 or 4 unsung iconic elements (e.g. food, landmark, people, culture, local favourites) inspired by the location.
- Guest Talent(s): Guest talent who has a personal story in relation to the theme of the episode.
- Soundtrack: Featuring music by local artistes that enhances the message of the series through videos/playlists.
- Community Event: A Songs & Stories night in collaboration with a local venue.